Friday, October 13, 2006

I run a charity with thousands of caring, kind volunteers. Yet, among these thousands, one stood out more than anyone else. His name was Rob Brewer. But those at WiredSafety.org knew him best as "Tyree". Rob tragically dies today of a heart attack in his beloved state of Texas.

He was funny, kind, patient and wise. He was equally patient in calming down an hysterical cyberstalking victim, parent of a child who was cyberbullied or executive director (spoken as that executive director :-)).

Each e-mail he responded to made the victims and others who received them feel that he understood them (he did), he cared (he did) and that he could help (he could).

Thousands of people were helped by him personally. And through his leadership, his team and division (the most elite of all our volunteer teams at WiredSafety.org) helped many thousands more over the years. His depth gave us a reach we didn't have without him. He was a doer. He always believed that things could be done, should be done right and did them that way. He was a calm voice in the universe of abuse, pain and fear.

Whenever you needed something done, you could ask Rob. He somehow managed to do it with a smile (or the smiley cyber-equivalent). :-) He often talked about his wonderful wife, Dianne, and their family. He was surrounded by loving friends and family and wanted to share this with others less fortunate. Those of us at WiredSafety counted him as family too, our own special cyber-family of likeminded and relentless volunteers standing against abuses and criminals online. Standing for families, children and Internet users of all ages. He stood on that line. And through his good work, helped keep people safer. Because of him, children slept more safely and victims of abuse online could rest more securely. He has left his mark. The world was a better and safe place with him in it.

We at WiredSafety, and I personally, will miss him deeply. It is a heart-felt loss to us all.
We know how his real family must feel. His friends who could hear his laughter, not just read it, must be mourning as much as we, his cyberfamily, are. But we will miss him not less than they. He was, and will always be, part of us. He helped build us, enhance us and manage us. I do not know anyone who can take his place.

He made us stronger. He made us wiser, He made us better than we were and will be without him at the helm of this WiredPatrol team of volunteers.

I will add more when I can see through my tears. But I know that so many of you will want to share your stories and thoughts, as well as your prayers for his family.

It is with gratitude, love and sadness that I dedicate this blog to our dear friend, comrade and adopted brother...Rob.

God bless you, Rob. Rest in peace.
I suspect heaven will have gotten as good a leader and team member as we have lost.

Parry Aftab
Executive Director
WiredSafety.org

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Parry called me and asked if I had heard that Tyree had passed away, I didn't want to beleive it. I sat there, dumb-founded and in shock. I didn't have any words to express my shock and sadness. I hoped against hope that the report was not true. The report was confirmed shortly there-after. My long time co-worker and friend was gone. The totality of it has yet to register. The more I think about it, the tougher it is to maintain composure. Crying is a good thing though.

It shows we care. Rob cared. He cared about his co-workers, his friends and most of all his family. When I was asked to become WiredSafety's Deputy Director, Rob did not hesitate to take over my position in Net Patrol. He did it better than I ever did. He cared about the countless, faceless names of victims who have come to us over the years. He poured himself out to people he had never met, and likely never would. He tried to make a difference and he did.

His Team, His Division and those he left behind in WiredSafety will always remember him. His patient instruction. His kind words. Always looking to make something better. He passed that on to everyone who was around him. It made them want to do better in return.

Rob, I shall miss you. God Bless.

Allan Kush (JollyGreen)
Deputy Executive Director
WiredSafety.org

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are no words to express the deep loss that we all feel as an organization and as individuals. Rob's style of leadership was second to none.

He led with patience, kindness, humor, and wisdom. These attributes spilled over into our personal friendship as well.

There are no words...

Peace,
Tenny

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, or Tyree as I knew him for the most part, was one of the greatest people I've worked with, offline or not. He cared about our work helping people very much.

He helped so much with IST and WiredPatrol. I remember late night brainstorming sessions that would clarify and expand my thoughts on the subjects we talked about.

Rob's humor! Where can I begin? :) Between Allan and Rob I don't think we had a moments peace in many of our meetings. Rob helped to keep things lively, and fun. He was always there to support us when we needed it.

Thanks Rob, and peace be with you.

Randy

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, or Tyree as I knew him for the most part, was one of the greatest people I've worked with, offline or not. He cared about our work helping people very much.

He helped so much with IST and WiredPatrol. I remember late night brainstorming sessions that would clarify and expand my thoughts on the subjects we talked about.

Rob's humor! Where can I begin? :) Between Allan and Rob I don't think we had a moments peace in many of our meetings. Rob helped to keep things lively, and fun. He was always there to support us when we needed it.

Thanks Rob, and peace be with you.

Randy

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not know Rob and its so overwhelming to see that he has touched so many lives in such noble ways. May his soul rest in peace.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am married to Rob's brother, Guy. For nearly 30 years I've loved and respected Rob like one of my own brothers. Our thanks to each of you for sharing your memory of Rob here. It's gratifying to know so many people recognized his wonderful spirit. He no doubt felt the same way about you. I know your comments will be a comfort to his mother, brother, uncles and cousins. No matter where he lived or worked, Robby has always been exactly the way you knew him. ("Tyree" is actually his mother's nickname as well, and the way she signed all of her paintings.) He was a rock in hard times and a joy in good times. His kind heart, rapier wit, and open arms are sorely missed. When we get to Heaven, he'll likely be playing cards with his Dad, saying, "Hey, what took you guys so long...pass the meatballs." We love you Hon.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tyree was a dedicated instructor and I am pleased to have had some training and email exchanges with him. As a new CS&H trainee he was very helpful, patient, and kind and I am sad to hear of his passing.

sincerely,
Fgrep

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not personally meet Rob Brewer, but from what I have read in these blogs he was a very special and loved person. My prayers go out to his family, co-workers and friends and anyone who knew him. It takes a special person to care enough to do what he did. I admire that, and all those involved with WiredSafety Org..

Rhonda W. (Beach)
Volunteer Assistant
WiredSafety.org

God Bless you all & take care. Best to you all.

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to extend my deepest sympathy to Rob Brewer's family and friends and co-workers. Though I personally did not know Rob, he made an impact on many lives. He gave his time to WiredSafety to help others and that says alot. He showed he cared. There are no words to heal the loss of a loved one's heart, but our hearts and prayers go out to you all in this difficult time.

My sincere best to you and yours!

Beach/ Rhonda W.
Volunteer Assistant
wiredSafety.org

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the family, friends and co-workers of Rob Brewer. Though I did not personally know Rob, he helped many lives. He spent his time doing so, and it shows he cared. There are no words to say that can heal loved ones broken hearts, but I give my sincere sympathy for your loss. I know the pain of losing a loved one.

Sincerely,
Beach/ Rhonda W.
Volunteer Assistant
wiredsafety.org

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to take a few and Wish Rob's family a Happy
Thanksgiving. I
know Rob is looking from above smiling as he is sitting at
his
computer. We all have something to be Thankful for .......
and that is
for knowing Rob(tyree) and someone who we will never forget.

God Bless
Tenderheart

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The is Rob's daughter, LouAnne.

We spent his first birthday without him.

I remember my sister-in-law and I conspireing last June about what to get him for his next Birthday. He was very hard to buy for. It seems like you would just find something, what you thought would be perfect, and he would walk into the house carrying that very thing.

The house almost feels like a cave these days. You no longer hear him laugh, make one of his ornery comments, or see him walking around with his ever present crossword puzzles.

That is going to take quite a bit of getting used to.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home